Lions Eye Bank of Wisconsin works closely with funeral homes and funeral directors to ensure a family’s wishes for their loved one to be an eye donor are fulfilled. Our procedures are non-invasive and should not delay arrangements.
We have non-invasive procedures
- Our procedures are non-invasive and should not interfere with any process that funeral directors have.
We reimburse for some additional prep charges
- LEBW hopes that no associated costs with donation are passed to families. If your process is impeded by organ, eye, and tissue donation due to fulfilling families’ wishes, please let us know by filling out this form.
How can you help?
- Before performing your procedures, you can help us recover faster by doing the following:
- Scheduling body prep and embalming after corneal tissue is recovered to ensure the family’s wishes are fulfilled.
- Keeping the body cooled to aid in tissue recovery.
- Do not spray the eyes with disinfectant before tissue is recovered. Doing so renders tissue unsuitable for transplant.
- Please wait until after recovery to use eye caps. Using eye caps before tissue if recovered leaves tissue unsuitable for transplant.
LEBW attends and supports the efforts of the Wisconsin Funeral Directors Association.
- LEBW is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, for questions and information. Please call us at 877.233.2354, ext. 1.